12/20/11

pumpkin bread

 Ruthie "helping". This was right before I had to send her to time-out because she tried to push Henry off the chair that was beside her. He was moving in on her stir.
 This cake release stuff (at Michael's) is fabulous for my occasional baking needs. My mom uses crisco & flour to grease her cans.


 all wrapped up and ready to give. yarn is my fave c-mas wrapping ribbon (warm/fuzzy & very inexpensive)
It doesn't feel like Christmas until I make some pumpkin bread. My mom use to send us to school with these little odd-shaped loafs of pumpkin bread, I remember thinking "i seriously doubt they are going to want this".
But now I am making it and giving it to my neighbors. If you like pumpkin bread, it is a good recipe. It is fun to save the cans and cook in those.

HOW TO:
3 1/2 cups of sifted flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
3 cups sugar
4 beaten eggs
2/3 cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
16 oz can pumpkin
1/2 cup of raisens
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
7 empty 14.5 oz aluminum cans

Combine sifted flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg & sugar in large mixing bowl. Add beaten eggs, water, oil, and pumpkin & stir until blended. Add nuts, mix well. Grease cans with crisco/flour or Wilton cake release. Pour mixture halfway into 7 aluminum 14.5 oz cans (or three 1 lb. coffee cans). Bake 1 hour at 350. Cool slightly in cans. Turn out on cooling rack to finish cooling. Run knife around the inside of can if needed to get the bread out easily.
 
Keeps for weeks in the fridge or freezes. Yummy sliced with butter or cream cheese.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

TOO cute sarah!what kind of cans did you use??

Sarah Largen said...

They were regular soup cans (14.5 oz). But I've used larger and even smaller ones. Just fill the batter halfway in the can u use! Love ya. Know it is all crazy for christmas over there!